Saturday, September 15, 2012

Willimantic Before Redevelopment, Part 6


Hurley Grant foreground, HC Murry, Church Reed



North side of Main Street, Part 6


Benny's Auto Store was there.  My uncle,Ed Ashton was the manager. Cecila's Snack Bar was next to it and upstairs was the Gibson and Driscoll's Beauty Palor where my Aunt Alice worked. I use to stop there every day and run errands for them. When ever my aunt's customers needed a baby sitter she sent me and I baby-sat for many children in town.

Willimantic Savings Institute,Sam Gordon's Surplus Center was next followed by  National Bank where Mr Ridgeway gave me money to pay  the rent for my mother and myself when I didn't have a job. What a nice man he was. I later saved his son Michael's life when we worked together at Barkers and Mrs Ridgeway (a very lovely lady) often thanked me for saving Michael when he was overcome by cleaning material he was using.

Then there comes Brown's Department Store.(my friend, young Eddy Brown's family store) where we were able to trust for things we needed. W.T. Grant Dept. store was next and this is where my younger sister Margie worked. Next was F.W. Woolworth's where I worked for many years. This building replaced the Loomer Opera House. When Mr Loomer, who owned a lumber company. built the opera house, many people thought he was foolish but many people came to Willimantic to perform including summer stock.  Many, many people were in the audience so it was a big success.
Main Street Looking West

Crossing over North Street was Tood's Department Store, a new building that replaced an old building where my grandfather had a restaurant and where I lived upstairs when I was was baby. Then came Wilson's Pharmacy, Bill's Number Seven, a favorite night time restaurant, Mac's Cigar Store and Ame's Butter and Egg Store that had the best tub butter and peanut butter ever.They also had peanuts in a jar of oil.
There were lots of businesses upstairs in these buildings also. Down the streets was Art's Jewlers. (I use to babysit for their son and they would have me work in the store once and a while). One day I caught my finger in the door and I nearly fainted and I was wringing wet because of my poor circulation so I couldn't work that day. The H.C. Murray Co. (Boston Store) was next on the corner of Chirch St. They had four floors of just about anything you could want. They had a nice man, Calvin Harris, (Billy Joe's father) who ran the elevator.  We use to go upstairs to buy hats and I use to take one of the kids with me because lady's hats didn't fit me and I was embarrassed to try on the kids hats.
Main Street Looking East

Savings Institute, Surplus Ctr, Windham National Bank

Crossing Church St.there was Church and Reed (Men's Store) and there were apartments upstairs. My sister and I use to babysit for my uncle, Bobby's son, Bobby. The Country Squire was next and I bought the dress I got married in there, Sherwin-Willian's, that burned down, then The Bay State Drug Store, The Candy Kitchen and The First Babist Church. Then came Union St and what became the major parcel.

Back To Link Page

No comments:

Post a Comment